« Home | Winter Slumber » | Temp 2 again! » | Electrical gremlin » | It's baaaaack! [Grumpy Van] » | Cupholders!! » | Petromax Lantern » | Van at the Dentist[?] » | TPS / Temp 2 » | ChiliPepper's Blog » 

Sunday, October 29, 2006 

New Addition to the fleet


I got caught once in a lake effect storm in Chilipepper and quickly found out that the 2WD Westy had no place in snow or slippery conditions. I have been cruising Ebay and The Samba for 2-3 years now keeping an eye out for a Syncro. I really liked the idea of plowing around in Upstate New York snow storms in a vanagon. That probably came from a New Years trip we had to cancel 4 years back due to a blizzard in NYC. 20 inches of snow...Bah! Most of the syncro vans I have found [- which are not common without the Westy package.] have been either:
1) Rusty
2) "Well used"
3) some nasty color like Gold or Burgundy
4) 1800 miles away in Portland or Seattle
or a combination of the above.

I wanted a late model - Silver - good shape. So - Anyways - i almost bid on a 1985 Scirocco on Ebay 2 weeks back [ never NEVER look at cars on Ebay during your lunch hour!] and stopped myself figuring it would be my luck the Syncro I have been looking for would pop up after I blew money on a Scirocco...
So I waited. Annnnnd..3 weeks later - I found a 1991 Silver syncro for sale 5 hours from my house. Woo! Woo!

Eric and I headed down to Scranton Friday night and stayed at the Scranton Lackawanna Radisson - A former train station converted into a hotel.
Over all, a very nice place - a little loud on friday nights however.







We met the van's owner Ken at the Allentown AAA, picked up the car and headed out for a long drive home. No incidents with the drive home and the van now sits in the parking lot waiting to be put away for the winter. [ it is a 2007 project - i already have 2 bathrooms to remodel for this season....]

Some interesting videos of Syncros and their capabilities can be found on YouTube searching the word "Syncro"

Pretty sweet, I look forward to storing it in our garage this winter!

Post a Comment